Local Liberty Mutual Insurance Offices Nominate Six Baltimore Non-Profit Causes to Receive Funding Through ‘Like My Community’ Facebook Campaign
Liberty Mutual Insurance, one of the nation’s leading auto and home insurers with four greater Baltimore offices, today launched the return of its ‘Like My CommunityTM Project,’ a Facebook-based campaign to provide more than $100,000 in support to local Baltimore non-profit causes.
Six organizations identified by Liberty Mutual’s local employees will vie for residents’ votes on Facebook, with the top three charities each receiving $30,000 and the three runners-up each earning $3,500. Baltimore residents can cast one vote daily for their favorite causes from June 25 through August 20 at www.facebook.com/libertybaltimore.
An additional daily vote can be cast by texting “LMBAL” to 61698 and selecting the preferred cause. Liberty Mutual will announce the winners in late August.
This marks the second year Liberty Mutual Insurance has presented the Like My Community Project in Baltimore. In 2011, area residents chose the following organizations to receive $30,000 in funding from Liberty Mutual Insurance: Harford Family House, Maryland SPCA, and Youth Dreamers.
Last year’s runners-up, each earning $2,500, were the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, The Family Tree, Health Care for the Homeless, and Maryland Food Bank. This year’s six non-profit nominees are new to the Like My Community Project.
The Liberty Mutual Baltimore branch offices nominated this year’s causes for their tremendous impact on the local community.
“Our more than 40 local Liberty Mutual employees and agents are committed to helping customers protect their cars and homes, and are equally passionate about this community as a great place to live and work,” said David Johnson, area manager for Liberty Mutual Insurance, the nation’s eighth-largest auto and home insurer, with Baltimore area offices in Bel Air, Columbia, Hunt Valley and Towson. “The Like My Community Project received overwhelming support from the Baltimore community last year, and we look forward to raising awareness of these inspiring causes and engaging with the local residents to provide much needed funds to support their programs and services.”
Large, three-dimensional Facebook “Like” buttons have been installed at four locations across the city to promote the campaign and to prominently identify the nominated Like My Community causes. The installations are located at The Mall in Columbia; Harborplace in Baltimore; the Maryland State Fairgrounds in Timonium; and Towson Town Center.
Baltimore Like My Community nominees include:
- Baltimore Child Abuse Center – Coordinates with the Baltimore City Police, Child Protective Services, the Baltimore City State's Attorney’s Office, and their own interview and treatment staff to provide support to families coping with the trauma of abuse.
- Believe in Tomorrow Children's Foundation – Provides hospital and respite housing services to critically ill children and their families during a child’s medical crisis.
- Heal a Woman to Heal a Nation – Promotes holistic wellness for women and families through education, physical and mental health, economic and self-empowerment.
- Kennedy Krieger Institute – Dedicated to improving the lives of children and adolescents with pediatric developmental disabilities and disorders of the brain, spinal cord and musculoskeletal system.
- SARC (Safety, Awareness, Resources, Change) – Works to end domestic violence, sexual violence, and stalking, which aids its victims and to create a society free from abuse and fear.
- St. Ambrose Housing Aid Center – Aims to create and maintain equal housing opportunities for low and moderate-income people, primarily in Baltimore City, and to encourage and support strong and diverse neighborhoods.
Each of these worthy organizations also are featured in a short video on the Like My Community Baltimore Facebook page, offering a behind-the-scenes look at each cause and the people they serve or missions they accomplish.
About Liberty Mutual Insurance
"Helping people live safer, more secure lives" since 1912, Boston-based Liberty Mutual Insurance is a diversified global insurer and the third largest property and casualty insurer in the U.S. based 2011 net premium written as reported by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
Liberty Mutual Insurance also ranks 84th on the Fortune 100 list of largest U.S. corporations, based on 2011 revenue. The company employs over 45,000 people in more than 900 offices throughout the world.
The eighth-largest auto and home insurer in the U.S., Liberty Mutual Insurance (libertymutual.com) sells full lines of coverage for automobile, homeowners, valuable possessions, personal liability, and individual life insurance.
The company is an industry leader in affinity partnerships, offering car and home insurance to employees and members of nearly 14,000 companies, credit unions, professional associations and alumni groups.