41 Animals Die In Forest Hill Fire
The fire was ruled accidental by investigators with the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.
Two men were injured and about 41 animals lost their lives in a late night fire in Forest Hill Monday.
Around 11:16 p.m. a fire broke out in the kitchen of a one-story home in the 2400 block of Rocks Road in Forest Hill, according to a release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.
The homeowner's cats let him know there was something wrong, and he was able to safely leave the home, according to state fire officials.
The owner sustained minor smoke inhalation, but refused an ambulance ride to the hospital.
About 40 cats and a dog died in the fire, fire officials say.
Thirty firefighters from Bel Air and Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Companies controlled the blaze within ten minutes, according to the release.
The fire caused about $10,000 damage to the home and about $5,000 damage to what was inside it. A Jarrettsville firefighter sprained his ankle while fighting the fire.
Investigators determined the fire started accidentally when the range oven exhaust hood malfunctioned.