The Powerball lottery has soared to new heights once again, hitting $257 million with no winners in recent weeks. The next drawing is tonight (Wednesday). Will there be a lucky winner from Maryland?
You can purchase a Powerball ticket for $2 at your local grocery store or gas station. The estimated cash value of the $257 million Powerball is $151 million.
Two Powerball pals who pooled their cash to buy a $10 ticket for the June 7 drawing won one of Maryland’s two $10,000 prizes, the lottery says. They let the machine quick pick their numbers and matched four of the winning numbers plus the Powerball.
“We’ve only started playing together for a couple of weeks,” said one of the winners, a 44-year-old married father of four from Owings Mills. “I have regular numbers that I play, but this one was random.”
The duo began playing together by chance, said the other half of the winning team. “He said he was going to buy some tickets, so I gave him a few bucks to include me,” said the other lucky player, a Baltimore bachelor, who termed the win “an early birthday gift for me.”
The Owings Mills dad considers the win an early Father’s Day gift and plans to spend the money on a vacation. The bachelor plans to celebrate his upcoming birthday and reinvest in another Powerball ticket.
- Choose your own numbers on a playslip. Select five different numbers from 1 through 59; then select one Powerball number from 1 through 35.
- Or you can play Easy Pick and let the computer choose your numbers.
- You can also use a combination of these play methods - pick some of your favorite numbers, and let the computer fill in the rest.
- Powerball draws are held Wednesday and Saturday at 11:00 p.m.
- All prizes, except the jackpot, are fixed dollar amounts. The jackpot total is dependent on the amount of money in the draw's total prize pool.