.

24 People Temporarily Displaced After Bel Air Apartment Fire

No injuries were reported in connection with the fire, officials say.

Two dozen people had to leave their homes Monday night when a fire broke out in a Bel Air apartment building.

Around 11:48 p.m. a neighbor in the 1300 block of Scottsdale Drive in Bel Air noticed a fire on the second-floor balcony of a four-story apartment building in that block, according to a release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office and a post by spokesman Rich Gardiner on the official Harford County Fire and EMS media Facebook page.

The fire went from from the second-floor balcony up to the third-floor balcony, but did not get inside the building, Gardiner wrote.

Firefighters from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company arrived at the scene and quickly contained the fire, but not before the blaze caused about $25,000 damage to the building, the release states.

Several people had to be evacuated from the building, but no injuries were reported, according to Gardiner's post. Twenty-four people were temporarily displaced due to the fire, Gardiner wrote.

Investigators with the fire marshal's office believe the blaze started when a cigarette or cigarette ash was improperly discarded.

MVPHKR October 18, 2012 at 04:54 AM
This should be a national news story: The first time in living memory that a Harford County building fire didn't result in the total loss of the structure and contents! Wow! Amazing!
Leonard October 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I'm glad there were no injuries. Was it just last week or so two fire fighters lost their lives battling a blaze when the floor gave way and the the grandmother and 4 children.
Leonard October 18, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Another thing if the fire is already too big to extinguish with your fire extinguisher don't waste time just sound the alarm in your building so everybody can vacuate ASAP. Fire Fighters have gear to protect them. Never under estimate how quickly you can be overcome by heat and smoke. Save yourself and as many people around you as you can. I know of people being seriously injured and also losing thier life trying to battle a blaze already too far gone.
Pat Benesch October 18, 2012 at 01:10 PM
We live in the Scottsdale condos and our building is across the street from the building where the fire was. We were amazed and thankful at the response from Harford County fire and police. We feel so safe in knowing that we have such dedicated local emergency personnel who can be counted on in a situation like this!
Ahmad0001 December 19, 2012 at 05:22 AM
Does the fact that it's familiar help them on the field? http://www.afterburnworkout.com/nutrition/correct-nutrition-with-regard-to-athletes.html

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »