.

41 Animals Die In Forest Hill Fire

The fire was ruled accidental by investigators with the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

Two men were injured and about 41 animals lost their lives in a late night fire in Forest Hill Monday.

Around 11:16 p.m. a fire broke out in the kitchen of a one-story home in the 2400 block of Rocks Road in Forest Hill, according to a release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

The homeowner's cats let him know there was something wrong, and he was able to safely leave the home, according to state fire officials.

The owner sustained minor smoke inhalation, but refused an ambulance ride to the hospital.

About 40 cats and a dog died in the fire, fire officials say.

Thirty firefighters from controlled the blaze within ten minutes, according to the release.

The fire caused about $10,000 damage to the home and about $5,000 damage to what was inside it. A Jarrettsville firefighter sprained his ankle while fighting the fire.

Investigators determined the fire started accidentally when the range oven exhaust hood malfunctioned.

In addition to the deputy fire marshals, a Harford County Building Inspector and Harford County Animal Control were called to the scene to help.

mnm August 28, 2012 at 08:32 PM
41 animals in the house?? I am an animal lover and that sounds like hoarding!
Bel Air Native August 30, 2012 at 04:45 AM
Why did they euthanize the raccoons? They could have just set them free into the woods. The homeowners need to be jailed.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »