.

Ashes Cause $375K in Damage to Jarrettsville Home: Fire Marshal

The ashes were in a bucket, the fire marshal said.

House fire in the 3800 block of Federal Hill Road on March 24, 2014. (Credit: Barry Bunker, Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association)
House fire in the 3800 block of Federal Hill Road on March 24, 2014. (Credit: Barry Bunker, Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association)
Improper disposal of ashes caused a house fire that displaced a Jarrettsville family Monday, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

A bucket of fireplace ashes ignited in the 3800 block of Federal Hill Road at 7:41 a.m. on Monday, activating the smoke alarm and alerting the family that lived there, according to the report.

Flames spread from the back exterior of the home to the roof, the fire marshal reported.

As the house went up in smoke, approximately 80 firefighters responded, bringing the blaze under control within 90 minutes, according to the fire marshal's report.

Companies that assisted in the firefighting operation included Jarrettsville, Fallston, Whiteford, Bel Air, Jacksonville and three Pennsylvania crews—Hereford, Fawn Grove and Delta-Cardiff—the fire marshal said.

The fire marshal estimated that there was $325,000 in damage to the home and $50,000 in damage to items inside the structure.

The family was being assisted by the Red Cross, according to the Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association, which noted this was the second fire this week involving ashes.

Ash disposal tips from the Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association:
  • Put ashes in a metal bucket/container.
  • Always use a metal container; never use a plastic or paper bag.
  • Take ashes outside, away from the house and combustible material.
  • Clear an area to set the container on—possibly down to dirt, ruling out the possibility that grass could catch fire if it were knocked over.
  • Completely immerse the materials in water.
  • Allow the contents to soak for at least a week.

Ashes can be used as fertilizer on a garden or lawn, and in the winter, they may reduce slipping on snow and ice, according to the Harford County Volunteer Fire & EMS Association.

Related: Red Cross Assisting 3 People After Jarrettsville House Fire
Ashley Lauren Adams Aycock March 24, 2014 at 08:46 PM
Hereford is Baltimore County not PA.
Elizabeth Janney March 24, 2014 at 09:32 PM
Hi Ashley, The Office of the State Fire Marshal actually specified that it was the fire company in Pennsylvania. http://www.hvfc58.org/ E
Kathleen Miller Ballard March 25, 2014 at 01:21 PM
If you look at where Hereford Fire Company (PA) is located on a map you will realize that it must have been an error on the State Fire Marshal. It's not realistic that they would have responded to the scene when there are probably 50 some firehouses between Hereford, PA and Jarrettsville.
Melissa M March 25, 2014 at 01:29 PM
Is it really that big of a deal???
Hugh Jorgan March 25, 2014 at 01:47 PM
They neglected to mention the house sits DIRECTLY across the street from the Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Dept. Ironic.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »