.

Bel Air Apartment Fire Causes $50K Damage

The fire started when static electricity ignited a gas leak inside a Bel Air apartment building Thursday.

Fire damaged a Bel Air apartment building Thursday, but a working sprinkler system and prompt firefighter response helped extinguish the flames before anyone was hurt.

A fire alarm alerted the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company to the blaze inside the apartment building on Selvin Drive around 9:38 a.m., according to a post by Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS spokesman Rich Gardiner on the official Facebook page.

Crews arrived to find water coming out of a back patio door. They went inside and found a fire between the third and fourth floors of the building, much of which had been contained by the sprinkler system, Gardiner wrote.

The fire caused about $50,000 in damage, and fire officials believe it started when an electrostatic discharge met with a gas leak in the building.

Units from Abingdon Volunteer Fire Company also helped at the scene.

Bored January 07, 2013 at 03:31 PM
They are adult condos, not apartments.
Jeff January 07, 2013 at 03:58 PM
The Bel Air VFD was back again there last night, must have been 7 or 8 trucks on site & they were there for a while. There was no smoke coming from the building but a lot of flashing lights from the trucks. I didn't see anything posted on the Harford Fire Blog or Harford County Md Fire & EMS PIO Media Page on Facebook.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »