.
News Alert
Traffic Alert: Crash Near Festival of Bel Air

Emmorton Warehouse Blaze Caused by Ceramic Heater: Fire Officials

The fire broke out inside an industrial park in Edgewood.

2100 block of Emmorton Park Drive; Jan. 5, 2013. (Credit: Lt. Nick McGowan, Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company)
2100 block of Emmorton Park Drive; Jan. 5, 2013. (Credit: Lt. Nick McGowan, Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company)
A fire at an Edgewood flooring company caused "substantial damage" Sunday afternoon, according to Harford County Fire & EMS spokesman Rich Gardiner.

Firefighters were called to Emmorton Industrial Park Sunday at 1:16 p.m., according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Crews from the Abingdon Fire Company arrived and found smoke inside Feature Flooring, in the 2100 block of Emmorton Park Road, according to Gardiner. 

Twenty firefighters—from Abingdon, Joppa-Magnolia, APG and Bel Air—responded and found a blaze inside the warehouse that was being controlled by sprinklers, the fire marshal said.

According to the fire marshal, the smoke alarm and sprinkler activation prompted firefighters to respond to the one-story commercial building Sunday afternoon.

The fire began when a ceramic heater, which was being used to keep epoxy warm, ignited inside the warehouse, according to Gardiner.

Crews brought the blaze under control within 10 to 30 minutes, officials said.

Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company reported that its firefighters, equipped with hoses, assisted Abingdon crews in extinguishing the blaze, while volunteers on Joppa-Magnolia's ladder truck helped ventilate the building by opening skylights for smoke and heat to escape.

Fire damage was contained to the warehouse, and there was smoke and water damage to the front office of the business, Gardiner said.

The fire marshal ruled the blaze accidental and estimated there was $20,000 in structural damage and $20,000 in damage to items inside the structure.

No injuries were reported, officials said.

The Harford County Hazmat Response Team checked runoff, and and no hazardous materials were found to have been released, according to Gardiner, who said firefighters turned the scene over to the business owner and property management.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »