A camping tent was damaged Saturday when an open flame heater set fire to flammable material inside the shelter.
Fire officials believe two men were living in the tent at the time of the fire.
Around 3:54 p.m. Saturday, fire crews were called to a wooded area near the intersection of Atwood Road and Marketplace Drive, not far from Target after the occupants of a tent in the area discovered the shelter was aflame, according to a release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.
Five firefighters from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company controlled the fire in the fabric tent within 15 minutes, the release states.
The fire caused about $30 damage to the tent and about $30 damage to what was inside it. No injuries were reported.
Investigators believe the fire started accidentally when an open flame heating device set fire to flammables nearby.
Deputy State Fire Marshals believe the two occupants of the tent were living there. Harford County recently conducted a one-day count that showed 166 people living homeless in the county.
- Count Reveals 166 Homeless In Harford County
- BLOG: Homeless in Bel Air
- BLOG: Does the Town of Bel Air Have a Homeless Problem?
- Who's in the Tent?