.

Firefighters Rescue 1 from Abingdon Townhouse Fire

The fire was reported after 6.m. Wednesday.

2800 block of Meredith Court, Abingdon. (Credit: Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company)
2800 block of Meredith Court, Abingdon. (Credit: Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company)
One person was rescued from an Abingdon townhouse that was on fire Wednesday morning, officials said.

The blaze began at 6:02 a.m. when a bathroom exhaust fan malfunctioned and caused a fire in the attic of a home in the 2800 block of Meredith Court, according to the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

A neighbor discovered the blaze, which did not set off the smoke alarm in the two-story home, the fire marshal's report said.

Approximately 30 firefighters responded to the fire, which took 35 minutes to control, the report said.

There was smoke showing when firefighters arrived and a person was in need of rescue, according to Rich Gardiner, spokesman for Harford Fire & EMS.

A citizen inside the home had a preexisting injury that required firefighters to help him get out, according to Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company, which assisted Abingdon Fire Company with the response.

The man refused further medical treatment, and firefighters cleared the scene at 8:07 a.m., Gardiner said.

According to the fire marshal, Harford County Disaster Assistance and the American Red Cross were helping the resident displaced by the fire.

The fire marshal said that the fire caused $50,000 in damage—$25,000 in structural damage and $25,000 in loss of items inside the home.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »