Joppa Garage Fire Causes $15K Damage

Investigators believe the fire started accidentally.

A fire in a detached garage in Joppa caused about $15,000 in damage Saturday.

Shortly before 12:11 p.m. neighbors noticed the fire in the 500 block of Magnolia Road and called 911, according to a release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

Twenty-five firefighters from Joppa-Magnolia, Abingdon and Bel Air Volunteer Fire Companies and Aberdeen Proving Ground professional fire department responded to the scene and controlled the blaze within half an hour, the release states.

Deputy state fire marshals believe the fire began accidentally inside the 35-foot by 24-foot detached garage when sparks from a propane torch ignited nearby flammable material.

No injuries were reported, but the fire caused about $10,000 damage to the structure and about $5,000 damage to what was inside it, the release states.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »