A fire that destroyed a shed Tuesday morning in Street left one man without a home, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal.
A blaze on the 3700 block of Bay Road in Street consumed a shed where a man had been living, said Oliver Alkire, spokesman for the fire marshal.
The shed's resident discovered the fire at 9:05 a.m., according to a statement from the fire marshal’s office.
It began when an extension cord spliced near the base of the 15-by-30-foot shed ignited leaves, Alkire said.
Flames spread to the entire structure and two nearby junk vehicles, Alkire told Patch. The fire marshal said the vehicles and shed were a total loss, resulting in an estimated $20,000 in damage.
Fire companies from Darlington, Bel Air, Jarrettsville, Whiteford and York responded to the fire, according to Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association spokesman Rich Gardiner.
After the fire was out, the man who had been living in the shed was receiving assistance from the Red Cross and from his family, Alkire said. The man's brother owned the property, which also included a nearby trailer, he added.
According to the report, there were no injuries.