.

After 3 Fires, Fallston Firefighters Issue Safety Message

Fallston crews responded to three fires in the course of three hours.

Fallston firefighters responded to three blazes on Saturday, March 22, 2014. (Credit: Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company Assistant Chief R. Blevins)
Fallston firefighters responded to three blazes on Saturday, March 22, 2014. (Credit: Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company Assistant Chief R. Blevins)
After responding to a handful of fires over the weekend that the Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company says could have been prevented, it issued some tips for citizens to stay safe this spring.

At 4 p.m. on Saturday, crews from Fallston, Bel Air, Jarrettsville, Kingsville and Whiteford responded to a blaze on Timberlea Drive that started around an outbuilding and spread to 5 acres of wooded areas and at least one other structure, according to the report from Fallston Volunteer Fire and Ambulance Company.

Within hours—after 7 p.m. on Saturday—firefighters from Fallston, Bel Air, Jarrettsville and Kingsville responded to a field/woods fire in the 2000 block of Pleasantville Road, the report stated. The fire spread across 1 acre of land and was approaching a house before firefighters brought it under control, according to the report. The recreational fire spread out of control as a result of the weather, Fallston firefighters reported.

On Saturday, the National Weather Service alerted citizens not to conduct open burns in Maryland due to weather conditions.

At 7:30 p.m. on Morningside Court, a fire in the Glen Elyn part of Fallston destroyed a wood deck and damaged the wall of a home, according to the report. Crews came from Fallston, Jarrettsville, Jacksonville, Bel Air and Hereford, the report stated.

"...it appears to be the result of unattended and misused equipment involved in a recreational or cooking fire," according to the report.

Fallston firefighters and the Office of the State Fire Marshal offered the following tips to stay safe from fire hazards this spring so yours isn't the next home its crews visit:
  • Get rid of frayed/damaged appliance cords, wiring, fuses or breakers. 
  • Clear trash and yard debris that has accumulated.
  • Recycle stacks of paper and magazines.
  • Check the National Weather Service for fire weather warnings—don't set fires amid elevated temperatures, low humidity and/or breezy winds.
  • Inspect your property for water leaks, especially near electrical appliances. 
  • Keep adequate space between heating appliances and combustibles.
  • Mark gasoline and cleaning fluids, storing them in a cool, dry place outside the house, away from pets and children.
  • Put away matches, tools, adhesives or other work items.
  • Test your smoke alarms and CO detectors now.
  • Make sure all doors and windows open easily and are accessible.
  • Ensure your address numbers are clearly visible. 
Related: Bel Air Field Goes Up in Flames, Wildfire Warning Issued
VolunteerMom2 March 24, 2014 at 07:44 PM
I'd love to hear a comment from the Fire Marshall related to a neighbor, in a town home community, who likes to grill right inside, or at the opening of his garage door. If a fire did flare he'd be putting other houses in danger. I really wish a citation could be issued for such a careless act, in my opinion. Usually, his cars are right behind him in his driveway.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »