A vehicle driven on its rim sparked a fire that shut down a major intersection in Joppa Saturday morning, the Maryland State Fire Marshal reported.
At 1:56 a.m., a passerby reported that
a 2001 Volkswagen Passat was on fire on Singer Road at Mountain
Road/MD Route 152, according to a statement from the fire marshal.
The blaze broke out after the vehicle was driven on its rim for 2.5 miles, according to the fire marshal.
The fire started in the front wheel assembly and
was ruled an accident, the fire marshal reported.
Twelve Joppa-Magnolia firefighters responded to the blaze and had the fire under control within 15 minutes, the report said.
According to Joppa-Magnolia, Singer Road was completely blocked at 2:09 a.m. as personnel worked to extinguish the fire.
The blaze caused $7,000 in damage to the vehicle, and $500 worth of items inside the vehicle were damaged as well, according to the report.