Friday, April 12, 2013
A two-alarm fire ravaged a condominium complex Friday morning in Harford County.
UPDATED (5:30 p.m.)—One firefighter was injured, 8 condos sustained damage and a dog was killed during a two-alarm fire Friday morning in Bel Air, according to officials. The fire broke out at 2:42 a.m. in the 100 block of Seevue Court, damaging units at three addresses, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal. It took two hours and nearly 60 firefighters from Bel Air, Fallston, Joppa-Magnolia, Kingsville, Darlington, Level and the Susquehanna Hose Company to bring the blaze under control, the fire marshal's office reported. The three-story condominium complex had 18 units, eight of which the fire marshal said were damaged. One dog perished, according to Rich Gardiner, spokesman for the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS …
Monday, April 8, 2013
Embers from the home's chimney started the fire Sunday night.
A Bel Air family safely evacuated their burning home Sunday after a teenage neighbor let them know the house was aflame. Deputy fire marshals credit the teen girl and prepared homeowner with preventing disaster. Around 7:59 p.m., the 17-year-old neighbor noticed smoke coming from the house across the street from hers in the 500 block of Poplarwood Court, according to a release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. The girl immediately let the homeowner know what she saw and he put out the fire in his fireplace with a fire extinguisher then tried to put out the fire on the roof, the release states. When he checked the attic, the owner found heavy fire that was spreading quickly. Fire crews arrived a short time later and contained …
Monday, March 18, 2013
Firefighters reviewed 2012 during the March Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company awards banquet.
A rescue helicopter malfunctioned near Wheel Road in February. A snow plow crashed into a utility pole on Route 1 in December. Members of the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company recalled memorable incidents from the last year during the organization's annual banquet. The top fire and EMS responders received awards, as did volunteers who rescued victims in extreme heat and performed several other exceptional acts beyond the call of duty, according to The Aegis, which listed all award recipients in its article.
Monday, March 4, 2013
The fire took place just after 11 p.m. Sunday in Bel Air.
Three residents and their dogs escaped, but a firefighter suffered minor injuries battling a blaze late Sunday in Bel Air. Approximately 40 firefighters arrived around 11:08 p.m. and took 30 minutes to control a fire at a one-story, single-family home in the 300 block of Locust Lane, according to a statement from the Maryland State Fire Marshal. The firefighter was treated at Upper Chesapeake Medical Center and later released. Harford County Fire & EMS Association spokesman Rich Gardiner said the firefighter was treated for "minor burns to the neck and arm." The accidental fire began with a "mechanical malfunction" in the engine of a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta, which was parked in the attached garage at the home, according to the fire marshal. …
Monday, February 11, 2013
Fire officials believe two people were living in the tent.
A camping tent was damaged Saturday when an open flame heater set fire to flammable material inside the shelter. Fire officials believe two men were living in the tent at the time of the fire. Around 3:54 p.m. Saturday, fire crews were called to a wooded area near the intersection of Atwood Road and Marketplace Drive, not far from Target after the occupants of a tent in the area discovered the shelter was aflame, according to a release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. Five firefighters from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company controlled the fire in the fabric tent within 15 minutes, the release states. The fire caused about $30 damage to the tent and about $30 damage to what was inside it. No injuries were reported. …
Saturday, January 26, 2013
The fire took place early Saturday morning at the restaurant at Plumtree Road.
An electrical issue in a deep fryer caused a fire early Saturday at a McDonald's in Emmorton. According to Rich Gardiner of the Harford County Fire & EMS Association, crews from the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company's Patterson Mill firehouse responded at 1:28 a.m. Saturday to the restaurant at the corner of Emmorton and Plumtree roads. No injuries were reported. Bel Air, Abingdon and Joppa volunteer crews responded, and extinguishers were used to control the fire, Gardiner said. A manager at McDonald's said the location wasn't open as of 9:35 a.m. Saturday, but that staff was hoping to have the restaurant open by 11 a.m. — Follow HarfordCoPatch on Twitter for breaking news.
Monday, January 14, 2013
The fire happened early Saturday morning on Cedarwood Drive in Harford County.
A malfunctioning charging system caused an equipment fire early Saturday at a construction site in Bel Air. The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said crews from Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company responded around 12:31 a.m. on Jan. 12 to the 1500 block of Cedarwood Drive in Bel Air. A neighbor first reported the blaze, which occurred in the rear of a construction site, the fire marshal said. The fire caused $4,000 in damage to a Caterpillar 973 Crawler Loader owned by a Harford County construction company, according to the fire marshal's release. Officials said there were no injuries. The fire originated in the engine compartment, and was ruled accidental, the cause listed as "an electrical malfunction within the charging system," the …
Friday, January 4, 2013
A 17-year-old student collapsed at a basketball game Thursday night.
A C. Milton Wright girls basketball player collapsed on the sidelines during a game Thursday evening, but was successfully revived by fast-acting staff and law enforcement. Around 7:17 p.m. Thursday, the 17-year-old girl stopped breathing and was without a pulse, according to Edward Hopkins, spokesman for the Harford County Sheriff's Office. "It was initially reported that the victim may have fallen backwards off a chair and it was believed she may have suffered a head injury," Hopkins wrote in an email to Patch. A sheriff's deputy on detail for the game noticed the team, coach and girl's mother huddled at one end of the gym and rushed over, noting it looked the girl was having a seizure, Hopkins said. Someone began CPR and a Maryland …
The fire started when static electricity ignited a gas leak inside a Bel Air apartment building Thursday.
Fire damaged a Bel Air apartment building Thursday, but a working sprinkler system and prompt firefighter response helped extinguish the flames before anyone was hurt. A fire alarm alerted the Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company to the blaze inside the apartment building on Selvin Drive around 9:38 a.m., according to a post by Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS spokesman Rich Gardiner on the official Facebook page. Crews arrived to find water coming out of a back patio door. They went inside and found a fire between the third and fourth floors of the building, much of which had been contained by the sprinkler system, Gardiner wrote. The fire caused about $50,000 in damage, and fire officials believe it started when an electrostatic discharge…
Friday, November 23, 2012
The new spokesman for the Harford County Sheriff's Office will start Monday, Nov. 26.
You need only take a look at his recent resume to see that Edward Hopkins is invested in Bel Air and Harford County. Hopkins was recently named the new public information officer for the Harford County Sheriff's Office. He will hit the ground running Monday, Nov. 26. He is also a part of Bel Air town government and and Bel Air Fire Company leadership. Monday will not technically be Hopkins' first day with the sheriff's office or even in the position of spokesman. Hopkins served as a police officer with the sheriff's office for 29 years, retiring with a rank of Lieutenant, according to his profile on the Town of Bel Air's website. Before retiring, Hopkins worked as the spokesman for the sheriff's office for about seven years, from 1994 …