Monday, April 8, 2013
Don't leave cooking food unattended.
An unattended electric smoker was blamed for an accidental fire, which scorched a Edgewood shed, according to a release from the Maryland State Fire Marshall. The owner of the shed in the 1800 block of Mandarin Court was making sausages using an electric smoker that was placed on top of wood, the release continues. A neighbor noticed smoke coming from the shed at about 12:01 p.m. on April 6. "The water pan became dry, overheated and ignited wood, wood chips and over combustibles," officials determined in the release. The fire caused an estimated $1,500 in damage to the shed where the fire stated, as well as a neighbor's shed where the blaze extended. Follow Aberdeen Patch on Facebook and Twitter and don't forget to sign up for the …
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said the teen started the fire after a dispute with her father.
A 15-year-old from Edgewood has been charged with first-degree arson after trying to burn down her house over the weekend following a disagreement with her father, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said. Approximately 50 firefighters responded to the blaze on the 1700 block of Harbinger Trail Saturday night, and two were injured, according to the report. The incident originally came to the attention of authorities as a 911 call, according to the fire marshal. Deputies from the Harford County Sheriff's Office fielded the call, which was a person calling and hanging up, and saw a couch on fire in the basement when they arrived, the fire marshal said. The fire quickly spread through the split-level home and ultimately caused $200,000 …
Sunday, March 10, 2013
The incident in Abingdon was reported at approximately 6 p.m. Sunday.
Fire was coming from the second floor and roof of a home in Abingdon Sunday evening, according to emergency officials. The fire on the 3200 block of Trellis Lane was reported around 6 p.m. As firefighters attacked the blaze, Trellis Lane was closed on either side—at Route 924 and Singer Road—Rich Gardiner, spokesman for the Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association, said. "Firefighters [are] making good progress on their attack," Gardiner said. He added that no injuries have been reported.
Saturday, March 9, 2013
The house fire was reported just before 8 p.m. Saturday.
UPDATE (12:20 a.m.)—Two firefighters were injured and a family was displaced after a house fire Saturday night, according to officials. At 7:54 p.m., emergency personnel were alerted to a blaze on the 1700 block of Harbinger Trail in Edgewood, Harford County Volunteer Fire and EMS Association spokesman Rich Gardiner said. The Joppa-Magnolia Volunteer Fire Company (JMVFC) reported being alerted of the fire at 8:02 p.m., and arriving first on the scene at 8:06 p.m. to find fire showing from a split-foyer home. Armed with hoses, the crew entered the house, where fire was on both floors, to extinguish the blaze, JMFVC said. Sheriff's deputies reported one person was still inside, according to JMVFC, so first responders conducted a search and …
Monday, February 11, 2013
The fire took place before 3 p.m. on Monday in the Churchville area of Harford County.
Aldino Road is closed Monday afternoon as crews respond to the scene of a house fire on the Harford County road. The fire took place around 2:30 p.m. Monday at a two-story home in the 3600 block of Adlino Road, according to Rich Gardiner of the Harford County Fire & EMS Association. Crews from Level, Aberdeen and the Susquehanna Hose Company reported smoke coming from the rear of the house, Gardiner said. He added that no injuries were reported as of 2:45 p.m. At that time, the road was closed due to fire equipment blocking the traffic lanes, Gardiner said. Stay with Patch for updates. — Follow HarfordCoPatch on Twitter for breaking news updates.
Thursday, January 24, 2013
The fire took place Wednesday afternoon on Shore Drive in Harford County.
A heating unit used to keep stray pets warm ignited a fire Wednesday that damaged both a boat and the Joppatowne house where it was parked, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said Thursday. The fire caused approximately $225,000 in combined damage to the boat and the residence, which is located on the 600 block of Shore Drive in Joppatowne. According to the fire marshal, the fire began with a malfunctioning heating pad in the boat—a 22-foot Cuddy Angler. The boat was parked in the driveway of the residence. The report from the fire marshal said: "Owners discovered fire after smelling smoke while inside their home. Owner attempted to extinguish the fire with two kitchen style extinguishers but not before the fire extended into the …
Wednesday, January 23, 2013
The fire took place Wednesday afternoon in the Harford County waterfront community.
Volunteer crews are battling a fire at a residence in Joppatowne. The blaze involves a boat and a house, and started around 2 p.m. Wednesday in the 600 block of Shore Drive in Joppatowne, according to Rich Gardiner, spokesman for the Harford County Fire & EMS Association. No further details were immediately available. Stay with Patch for updates. — » Follow HarfordCoPatch on Twitter for breaking updates. — Find more Edgewood & Joppatowne news on Patch. Share your own news, photos & video here.
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
An extension cord ignited the fire around 9:05 a.m. Tuesday, according to the report.
A fire that destroyed a shed Tuesday morning in Street left one man without a home, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal. A blaze on the 3700 block of Bay Road in Street consumed a shed where a man had been living, said Oliver Alkire, spokesman for the fire marshal. The shed's resident discovered the fire at 9:05 a.m., according to a statement from the fire marshal’s office. It began when an extension cord spliced near the base of the 15-by-30-foot shed ignited leaves, Alkire said. Flames spread to the entire structure and two nearby junk vehicles, Alkire told Patch. The fire marshal said the vehicles and shed were a total loss, resulting in an estimated $20,000 in damage. Fire companies from Darlington, Bel Air, Jarrettsville, …
Monday, January 14, 2013
The fire happened early Saturday morning on Cedarwood Drive in Harford County.
A malfunctioning charging system caused an equipment fire early Saturday at a construction site in Bel Air. The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said crews from Bel Air Volunteer Fire Company responded around 12:31 a.m. on Jan. 12 to the 1500 block of Cedarwood Drive in Bel Air. A neighbor first reported the blaze, which occurred in the rear of a construction site, the fire marshal said. The fire caused $4,000 in damage to a Caterpillar 973 Crawler Loader owned by a Harford County construction company, according to the fire marshal's release. Officials said there were no injuries. The fire originated in the engine compartment, and was ruled accidental, the cause listed as "an electrical malfunction within the charging system," the …
Monday, May 7, 2012
The Maryland State Fireman's Association Water Supply Drill was Sunday.
More than 150 personnel from approximately 35 fire companies from around Maryland and Pennsylvania visited Northern Harford County Sunday for the Maryland State Fireman's Association Water Supply Drill. The drill was hosted by the Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Department, and used a series of ponds and a county park to practice the art of moving large volumes of water without the aid of fire hydrants. Most of the participating agencies are from rural communities, where ponds and other natural resources are used as water sources. TELL US: Do you or someone you know belong to a local volunteer fire company? Leave a comment.